Expect Detours Because of Construction on U.S. 50 Bridge over Chipman Road
John Knox Village residents, associates and guests should be aware of upcoming construction on U.S. 50 and Chipman Road that will affect traffic around the Village campus.
Motorists should be prepared for changing traffic patterns on U.S. 50, including lane closures, as well as closures of U.S. 50 on- and off-ramps at Chipman Road so they can be widened as part of the project.
- Beginning the morning of Monday, April 18, crews will CLOSE all four U.S. 50 on and off ramps at Chipman Road to prepare them to divert U.S. 50 traffic around the U.S. 50 bridge closure.
- Also beginning the morning of Monday, April 18, crews will CLOSE Chipman Road (below U.S. 50) between Murray Road and Blue Parkway until late July or until the new bridges are complete. Once Chipman Road is closed, motorists can follow the signed detour or use alternate routes.
- Once ramps are prepared for traffic, crews will CLOSE the U.S. 50 bridge over Chipman Road on Tuesday, April 19. All U.S. 50 traffic will be routed around the bridge closure via the U.S. 50 on and off ramps at Chipman Road.
- Motorists will be able to turn right onto Chipman Road from both eastbound and westbound U.S. 50. Left turns will not be allowed.
- Both mainline eastbound U.S. 50 and the ramp from eastbound I-470 to eastbound U.S. 50 will be reduced to ONE LANE a piece for merging purposes. Motorists can expect to see most impacts during the evening rush hour.
- Motorists needing to access U.S. 50 from Chipman Road will need to seek alternate routes.
Once the bridges are complete, the project will move into Phase 3 which will include roadway resurfacing and ADA improvements on Chipman Road.
- Additional information can be found here: https://www.modot.org/us-50-over-chipman-rd
- Watch an easy-to-follow video: https://www.modot.org/sites/default/files/2020-10/US_50_over_Chipman_FINAL.mp4