Living Well With Parkinson’s
Living well with Parkinson’s disease requires more than just medication. Physical and speech therapy, exercise, and activity all are essential. Together they support your brain and body health, while maintaining your mental, emotional and spiritual strength.
John Knox Village offers a wide range of Parkinson’s-focused services and an incredible array of activities at our Lee’s Summit, Missouri, campus, just east of Kansas City. So you can spend less time searching for resources – and more time focusing on what’s important to you.
- Specialized therapies: LSVT BIG® & LSVT LOUD®– One-on-one physical, occupational and speech therapies for Eastern Jackson County residents and Village residents at our Village Outpatient Therapy clinic in Lee’s Summit. Also available in 8 Missouri & Kansas counties, through Village Home Health, for those who are homebound.
- Palliative Care– Consultations are available to assist Village residents in managing their Parkinson’s symptoms.
- VirtuSense Balance Assessments– Regular screenings assess your fall risk and help you better maintain your balance.
- Registered Dietitian–Village residents can schedule consultations to discuss beneficial dietary modifications.
The Village offers a surprising variety of exercise opportunities for our Fitness Center members to help you maintain your strength, balance and coordination:
- Park and Pow – Parkinson’s-specific exercise
- PWR! (Coming soon) Parkinson’s-specific exercise
- Parkinson’s Boxing (Coming soon)
- Balance I and Balance II exercise classes
- Yoga and Chair Yoga classes
- Tai Chi
- Water fitness classes
- Personal & group training sessions
- TV-based home exercise classes on our in-house TV channel
- Ping pong
- Bowling – On-site 4-lane bowling alley
- 9-hole, par 3 golf course
- Parkinson’s Support Group – This educational and supportive monthly meeting is open to the public. Led by the director of research for the University of Kansas Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorder Center.
- Caregivers Support Group – A resident-focused group to support family caregivers for those with various conditions, ranging from Parkinson’s to dementia.
- Life Enrichment Activities – So many classes and activities each month that it takes a monthly magazine to share them all! Lifelong learning, art, music, movies, dancing and more.
- Spiritual Support – (Coming Soon) Courses and literature focusing on the connections between spirituality and brain health.
- Mental Health Services – Our Resident Care Coordination Liaison can help connect you with mental health professionals based on your specific needs.
- Abundant Green Space for walks and meditation on our 200-acre campus.
- Community Garden – Raised beds available in paved areas that reduce trip hazards for Village residents and associates who find gardening therapeutic.
- John Knox Village Volunteer Program – Volunteers say their work brings a sense of purpose and meaning, helps to cope with stress, and keeps them active. Accepting help is good for your heart, too.
Additional Resources available through our partnerships with:
John Knox Village Also Provides:
- On- and off-campus transportation services for Village residents.
- On-campus emergency medical response – Our own ambulances, with a typical response time for Village residents of less than 10 minutes.