A Message From Our President
Earlier this week, JKV President Dan Rexroth talked with members of the leadership team at Village Assisted Living and Village Care Center. Please watch the following videos to see how each area is implementing changes in response to the virus.
Updated March 14, 2020
Village Assisted Living and Village Care Center Closed to Visitors
Probably the most significant announcements that we all need to be aware of right now are these:
Both our Federal and Missouri state governments have declared states of emergency due to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
Therefore, we are taking necessary steps to FURTHER ensure the safety and wellbeing of all of our residents and patients, especially those in our skilled nursing and assisted living facilities.
- Effective 3 p.m. Saturday, March 14, due to federal mandate, the Village Care Center and Village Assisted Living/Village Assisted Living Memory Care will be closed to visits by non-medical persons until further notice.
- We have the largest long-term care facility and assisted living facility in the area, and therefore have many highly vulnerable residents, so these more extreme measures make sense in this setting.
- We have already begun communication with families and are encouraging them to stay in touch with their loved ones via phone or video chat and have offered to assist with this.
- Outside entertainment and the use of volunteers in our health care facilities is stopped until further notice.
- Foot traffic passing through Village Assisted Living no longer allowed – for instance, walking from the Administrative Center to the alphabet buildings or to the Courtyard Commons.
- Watch for updates on our website.
- We deeply appreciate these families’ patience and understanding as we work to keep their loved one as safe as possible.
UPDATED MARCH 13, 2020
COVID-19 Coronavirus Response Update
PLEASE NOTE: We are working hard to keep everyone informed during this rapidly-changing situation. This information is also being shared with residents, associates, Village Care Center and Village Assisted Living family members, and our boards of directors.
We know that you are hearing a tremendous amount of information through the news media regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19). Therefore, we want you know the actions we are taking to help reduce the potential for the virus to enter the Village most especially our health care facilities, as well as to prevent any spread throughout the community. This disease is dangerous for older adults and those underlying health conditions, so we need to be extra careful to protect those populations from exposure.
Because cases have now been confirmed in Missouri and Kansas, we are taking additional steps for the health and safety of our residents, patients, associates and visitors, and we need your help to make them work.
Effective today, the following procedures have been implemented:
- Per Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) guidelines for facilities in counties adjacent to counties where the COVID-19 virus has occurred, as well as CDC recommendations, we will begin screening all visitors and limiting access points to the Village Care Center, Village Assisted Living and Village Assisted Living Memory Care.
- All visitors to our health care facilities will need to use our main entrances and answer the following questions and sign in when they arrive, so we can keep track of who has been in our building:
- Have you traveled internationally or on a cruise ship in the last 14 days to any country with sustained community spread of the COVID-19 Coronavirus?
- Do you have any signs or symptoms of respiratory infection, such as fever, cough, shortness of breath, or sore throat?
- Have you had any contact with someone with or under investigation for COVID-19?
- Do you reside in a community where a community-based spread of COVID-19 is occurring?
If you can answer yes to any of the above questions, DO NOT ENTER the facility.
- For the protection of our residents, we strongly discourage non-essential visits – those that are not absolutely necessary for the well-being of the resident.
- Please limit your visit to the resident’s room only. Do not linger in public areas or visit our dining areas.
- We are discontinuing entertainment and stopping the use of volunteers in our health care facilities until further notice.
- We are limiting foot traffic passing through Village Assisted Living to associates only.
- Fireside Dining will be restricted for use only by Village Assisted Living residents and associates. Please enjoy our 6 other dining venues, or use our meal delivery service.
If you have friends, neighbors or loved ones in the Village Care Center, we understand that staying in touch is important for their well-being, as well as yours. Please consider other options for connecting with them, such as telephone calls, e-mail, texting, video chats (i.e. Skype, FaceTime, etc.) using a smartphone or tablet, or chat tools such as Facebook messenger. Please let us know how we can help.
Additionally, here are a few of the many other action steps we are taking as an organization.
- We are bolstering re-education on infection control protocol with associates.
- We are enhancing sanitation efforts by switching to a more intense cleaning solution.
- We are actively enforcing associate illness policies.