I want to provide you with an update regarding the presence of the COVID-19 coronavirus on the John Knox Village campus. The safety and wellbeing of our residents and associates are our top priority and we are doing all that we can to limit and contain any possible cases of COVID-19 here at the Village.
We have recently been notified that an Auxiliary shop associate tested positive. This person has had ongoing, but limited, contact with other associates and residents; they passed the screening process on Friday, July 24, then began experiencing symptoms over the weekend.
As always, the Village is staying in very close communication with local, regional, county, and state authorities to ensure we are taking all of the appropriate steps under current circumstances. We also are following guidance from CMS and the CDC to reduce the impact of COVID-19.
- Enhanced infection control precautions
- Daily screening of residents, staff and essential visitors for symptoms
- Restricting visitation and entry of people into the building
- Testing staff and residents, based on current protocols and testing availability
- Carefully limiting communal activities
- Use of physical distancing and other infection control procedures.
- The General Store has been disinfected by Public Safety with their new portable equipment and will reopen Friday.
What can I do?
I understand that it may be concerning to now be hearing about people receiving positive test results in the independent living and administrative areas of the Village. It is a good reminder of the ongoing importance that every one of us must be diligent about:
- Washing hands frequently or using hand sanitizer,
- Wearing masks when outside of our homes so as not to infect others, as well as to protect ourselves,
- AND continuing to keep 6 feet or more between ourselves and others who don’t live with us.
Please know that we are working extremely hard to keep everyone who lives and works here safe and healthy. This is a responsibility that weighs heavily on us every day. If you have further questions or concerns, please call or e-mail me and I will do my best to provide an answer.
Village Assisted Living: Cumulative Totals from 3/14/20 to 7/29/20:
- 1 resident and 3 associates have had confirmed COVID-19 diagnoses
- 1 resident and 1 associates have recovered from COVID-19
Village Care Center: Cumulative Totals from 3/14/20 to 7/29/20:
- 2 residents and 11* associates have had confirmed COVID-19 diagnoses
- 2 residents and 9* associates have recovered from COVID-19
All Village areas outside of VCC and VAL:
Cumulative Totals from 3/14/20 to 7/29/20:
- 5 associates have had confirmed COVID-19 diagnoses
- 3 associates have recovered from COVID-19
*1 is a non-JKV employee who works in the building. We have had some cases that, upon re-testing, we suspect they may have been false positives. We are erring on the side of caution and counting them as testing positive and as recovered.
3/14/20 is when the John Knox Village campus began steps to close to visitors.
Thanks. Stay safe.
Brian Opoka, Public Safety Director